Posted by: Drew | July 27, 2008

US Coast Guard has had a busy week – Rescues of Atlantic City top the list

Coast Guard rescues 2 fisherman, 1 remains missing near Atlantic City, N.J.

U.S. Coast Guard video - 080724 Rayford Carr, Sea Breeze survivor

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – July 24, 2008 The Coast Guard rescued two fisherman and one remains missing today after the 80-foot fishing boat they were on capsized and sank 45 miles east of Atlantic City, N.J.

Missing is Philip Ruhle, 58.

Rescued were Rayford Carr, 50, and Anthony Hendrickson, 22.

The Coast Guard received a signal from an electronic position indicating radio beacon, an emergency device used to signal distress, at approximately 10 p.m. Wednesday from the fishing boat Sea Breeze, homeported in North Kingstown, R.I., with three people aboard.

Two helicopter rescue crews from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., arrived on scene and hoisted two of the fisherman from the water as the boat sank.

It was reported the captain was still aboard the boat when it sank.

The fishing vessel was reportedly carrying 100,000 pounds of fish aboard and was riding low in the water before it capsized.

The Coast Guard continues to search today for the missing captain, including rescue crews from:

  • Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.
  • Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.
  • Coast Guard Cutter Beluga, a 87-foot patrol boat homeported in Norfolk, Va.

The cause of the incident is under investigation.

The Coast Guard wants all mariners to know that beginning Feb. 1, 2009, only distress alerts from 406 MHz beacons will continue to be detected and processed by search and rescue satellites worldwide. Older model Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons or Emergency Locater Transmitters that only transmit a distress alert on 121.5 MHz or 243 MHz will not be instantly sent to search and rescue personnel. The only way these signals might be heard is by a passive radio listener tuned in to the 121.5/243 MHz frequencies.

Coast Guard medevacs sick boater

PORTSMOUTH, Va. – July 26, 2008 – The Coast Guard medevaced a 31-year-old male who became ill and unconscious while boating approximately 45 miles east of Ocean City, Md. today.

The name of the patient is unknown.

An HH-65 rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., arrived on scene at approximately 9:14 a.m. to medevac the man from the 29-foot boat Josie Ann. The patient was hoisted on board and flown to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, Md.

The Instigator, a Good Samaritan charter fishing vessel, provided oxygen to the patient prior to the Coast Guard’s arrival.

The man is listed in stable condition

Coast Guard crew rescues 2 near Sea Isle City, N.J.

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – July 23, 2008 – The Coast Guard rescued two people Tuesday aboard a disabled jet ski in the Intracoastal Waterway near Sea Isle City, N.J.

The Coast Guard received a call at 11 p.m. from a family member reporting two people had not returned from a jet skiing trip.

A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Townsend Inlet, N.J., located the jet skiers near Mill Thorofare off the Intracoastal Waterway in good condition.

The jet skiers reported they ran out of gas.

The rescue boat crew towed the jet skiers back to Sea Isle City.

“Boaters are always encouraged to be prepared when they go out on their boats,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Trista Fisher, a search and rescue coordinator at Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay. “This includes ensuring they have proper safety and communication equipment and have enough fuel to reach their destination safely.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: